December 30, 2005

A New Year's Resolution

When I graduated from high school, I did not so much decide to go to college as I simply just went to college. College after high school had been my path for as long as I could say “university.” Many of my peers joined me in going to college. Others went straight into the work force. And still others joined the armed services. I remember registering for the selective service on my eighteenth birthday, but I did not ever consider enlisting after high school. I even wondered why those who did would.

Nearly a decade of perspective later, I find myself in awe of those who, at the age of eighteen, made the decision to serve our country. I wonder where they are today, how they were affected by their experience. I hope they benefited from their service because I know that I have.

If you have read this column, you know I am generally not one to put a giant magnetic “support our troops” ribbon on the back of my car or go around with chest-thumping patriotism. I find that I serve my fellow citizens by helping others gain the full protection of the law as a lawyer and by providing information and a critical perspective of our government and society as a writer. I consider myself a patriot, just not a very loud one.

Americans who volunteer to serve this country as soldiers or sailors or pilots or otherwise demonstrate the highest form of public service at the earliest of ages. On the cusp of adulthood, they dedicate their own lives to the good of an entire country. They serve millions of people they will never meet. In a time of war, they do so at great peril, but even in a time of peace the commitment is heroic. In times like these, their sacrifice is magnified and celebrated, though just as admirable as ever.

Each servicemember joins for his or her own reasons. Each has his or her own family. Each has his or her own friends and hobbies and interests and home town. Each deserves our deepest respect and most heartfelt gratitude. Each deserves to be taken care of, not just physically, but emotionally and economically. Each took on the responsibility of serving each of us and it is therefore our responsibility to ensure that their service is rightfully honored and recognized.

Those who serve our country are not responsible for the decisions of our leaders. They are not responsible for the policies of our government. They are only responsible for their decision to step up and put their own life on the line for the national good. For that, they are entitled to our highest esteem. If they do make mistakes, they, like any American, should be held responsible. But even their mistakes do not diminish their act of commitment.

As I reflect, I am very glad I went to college. It was the right decision for me. But I am proud of my fellow graduates who chose the route of national service. I am proud to live in a country that has so many of these extraordinarily dedicated individuals. I am honored to have them serve in my name. Their voluntary assumption of the responsibility of serving and protecting an entire nation is overwhelming. There are many Americans who accomplish amazing feats and do tremendous good for our country, but serving all of us in the armed service is special. And those who do it deserve to be thanked and thanked often. This is my resolution for 2006.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your assessment of military service was spot on. I honestly can't really imagine most high schoolers who enlist actually understanding what they are truly getting themselves into. Even those in military families who have a pretty good idea, I don't think, can truly know what they are going into. But we should be thankful for them.

I know my friend was in the ROTC to pay for college. The thing that concerns him most is leaving behind his wife- their one year anniversary will be in April. As he said, when he goes to bed at night he knows he's safe- she does not. She just has to sit around and wait. I'm sure there is much more communication via email, etc then there ever has been, but it still has to be incredibly tough.

When I was applying to the Air Force, I met with my cousin's friend a few times. He was on active duty in the Navy and at the time I met with him he was in the Naval Reserves. His civilian job was as a lawyer at a major national firm in DC (don't remember which one). He was running through the pros & cons of joining and all that stuff. He was telling me of all the crap you have to deal with as an officer, such as being responsible for the enlist men. He was telling how some certainly are not the brightest people you'll ever meet. However, he followed that up saying he'd rather go to work with them, people who have made the conscious choice to serve their country, over some of the incredibly bright, but self-centered lawyers he worked w/ on a daily basis. Thought it was a very interesting comment at the time.